1. Right Plant = Right Spot
Exposure: Light- Low light, Medium or indirect light, Bright or Direct light. Temperature- heated or cool room, avoid draughts? Humidity levels- low to high- use a tray with gravel with water to provide humidity.
2. Right Plant= Right Intention – Is this a permanent or temporary plant? Maybe a gift?
3. Right Plant = Right Care – Proper watering- monitor well, do not over water. Fertilizing- liquid or granular, apply monthly. Repotting-yearly or every other depending upon how fast they grow. Keep Plants Tidy-remove dead leaves and spent flowers. Pest free- monitor, take care of problems quickly. Rest period- understand your plants needs and requirements, many have a rest or dormant period.
4 Steps to Choosing Your Plants
1. Is this a Year- Round or Temporary Plant?
2. How Green is Your Thumb? How much Time to do you have to Invest in plant care?
3. Price you want to Spend depends upon 1 & 2.
4. What Size & Shape do you want? 4 Main types of Plants(next blog) that come in a variety of sizes to start out with, but remember that some plants can grow quite large or bushy. Think about where the plant will be in your home and what size that space can support.